Recipe Source: Grandma Dee
Cooking Time: 35-40 min
Where To Cook: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- 2 pie crust, one bottom and one top layer (see ingredients below)
- Cherry Pie Filling (see ingredients below)
GRANDMA'S BEST PIE CRUST::
- 5 ½ cups flour
- 1 lb butter or shortening
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Water to fill cup
CHERRY PIE FILLING:
- 4 cups fresh or frozen tart cherries, pitted
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or flour
- a splash almond extract, optional
- 2 Tbsp butter
Mix cherries, sugar and almond extract, set aside to meld together. Make pie crust or grab yours from the freezer. See our Misc Recipes Section for Best Pie Crust Recipe and make it.
ASSEMBLE THE CHERRY PIE:
Roll out one pie crust. Place in pie plate. Cut slits in bottom and around the edges to prevent bubbling.
Mix together Cherry mixture in with flour. Pour into prepared pie crust in pie plate. Top with butter.
Roll out top crust. Place on top of pie, flute edges and cut some slits in top of the crust for venting. Or cut in stripes and build a lattice pie top & flute edges.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Remove from oven.
Let cool at least 15 minutes and serve.