Apple and Cinnamon Cake
Preparation Time: 45 min. | Cooking Time: 30 min.
Where to cook: Oven at 350° F | Difficulty level: 2
Serves: 12 | Recipe Source: Grandma Dee
- 1 large apple
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 Tbsp
- 1 1/4 cups finely ground almonds, pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups sweet potato, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Grease a Bundt pan or 9×13 baking dish.
- Peel, core and chop the apple. Toss it with some lemon juice to prevent browning.
- In a separate bowl, combine nuts(optional), flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until pale and tripled in size. Whisk in grated sweet potato and add the flour mixture, then add the vanilla, mix well. Gently fold in apple cubes.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan & bake 30 minutes. Cover with foil and continue to bake for 30 more minutes. Remove from oven & cool on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes.
How to make the Icing:
Stir together sifted sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Drizzle it liberally over the top of the cake.
Add the icing and serve warm.