Apple Braid Dessert
Preparation Time: 30 min. | Cooking Time: 30 min.
Where to cook: Oven at 350° F | Difficulty level: 2
Serves: 12 | Recipe Source: Grandma Dee
- 3 tart apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 Tbsp. instant yeast
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 5 tsp. heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Peel, core, and slice apples thinly, then cut them in half. Mix the apples together with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Bake in a pie dish for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- At the same time, prepare the dough. Mix together flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add water & oil, mixing well. Knead in bowl for about five minutes or so. Turn the dough onto floured surface and knead until glossy. Roll it out to a 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Place the dough onto a greased or foil-lined baking sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each side into strips about one inch wide down each side, leaving the center third of the dough uncut. Spread the apple filling down the middle third of the dough. Braid strips of dough into the center, crisscrossing the filling by alternating strips from each side. Lightly press the ends to seal it up, and then straighten out the braid with your hands.
- Bake the apple braid for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and set it aside to cool just a bit.
- Meanwhile, whisk together powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla extract, salt, and nutmeg in a small bowl until smooth and creamy. Pour or brush this glaze over the apple bread while it's still warm.
- Place a wire rack onto a baking sheet and carefully place the apple braid onto the wire rack. Set it to cool completely, so the apple braid will not become soggy.
This one is worth the time it takes to make!